Sunday, September 27, 2009

Week 5

Wow! Is it really week 5? I enjoyed reading about the process of creating a vision statement. As I stated earlier, it is all so familiar to me as we just recently went through the process as a school when implementing Professional Learning Communities. When I was working on my meeting agenda, I struggled with what should be done and what I know I will be able to accomplish with my team. The team has buy-in to the project but it is seen as an 'extra' to what else we are doing. Although my meeting agenda says the meeting will last about 45 minutes, I expect it to be much shorter to accommodate everyone's schedule. It might also be shorter as we already have vision statements for different aspects of our school and I can see others possibly wanting to modify an existing vision statement.

This week I got tutoring in the process of going and have had to collaborate a lot with other teachers. These mini meetings have helped me see where others want to go. As you have mentioned before, the key to a good plan is to have everyone else involved and have their buy-in to make it actually work.

Again, my biggest set back is time. Our school is implementing a new intervention program this week at the same time tutoring is beginning. The two run side by side. My other big task is getting teachers to commit the time to tutor and this will be something that will need to be addressed by the planning team when creating our action plan in the coming weeks. It is always my biggest struggle.

1 comment:

  1. Stefanie,
    Yes, time is always an issue. There never seems to be enough of it to accomplish all we need to do. But keep working on it and it will eventually emerge. It is good that you have an existing vision statement to work from, as this will save the group some precious time. :) Keep me updated. You are doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete