Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 2

I enjoyed reading about the different strategic planning models and the process. I reflected on some of the changes we are undergoing at school and am noticing the same steps being followed although I doubt there is a specific model they are following. The steps seem logical in order to produce an outcome. I noticed most of the strategic models all included a mission statement or declaration of values, relfection (pre and post) and a clear action plan.

I was a little unclear about how the organic planning model would lead to a positive outcome. It doesn't seem as focused to me nor strategic. I chose to use it in my model comparison for that reason. I wonder what types of businesses would use that specific model.

As I was reading the different models this week I was trying to pick one that I would try to follow with my project. I liked the IT model as it was the clearest for me. I was also thinking of what mission statement might be used with my chosen project. My major setback is that I am unable to set up a meeting with our curriculm director who is also in charge of the tutoring program. I have been trying to set up a meeting with him for over a month now. There is a lack of leadership in that position and it is hindering me from moving forward with after-school tutoring. However, that is a very real world problem that many businesses face. If I am not able to set a meeting with him this week, than I will rework my plan focus. My principal has agreed to help with the tutoring plan but I may need to shift focus.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the organic model is difficult to use and prefer more structured models myself. It was also a good observation that the lack of communication is a very real problem with planning. Hopefully it will not be extensive and will allow you to complete the plan for this course and your school project.

    ReplyDelete